Publications (full list below)
K. Lenhart, T. Behrendt, S. Greiner, J. Steinkamp, R. Well, A. Giesemann, F. Keppler (2019). Nitrous oxide effluxes from plants as a potentially important source to the atmosphere. New Phytologist, 221, 1398-1408.
The global budget for nitrous oxide (N2O), an important greenhouse gas and likely dominant ozone-depleting substance emitted in the 21st century, is far from being fully understood. Cycling of nitrous oxide (N2O) in terrestrial ecosystems has traditionally exclusively focused on gas exchange between the soil surface (nitrification/denitrification processes) and the atmosphere. Terrestrial vegetation has not been considered in the global budget so far even though plants are known to release N2O. Here we report N2O emission rates of 32 plant species from 22 different families measured under controlled laboratory conditions. Furthermore, first isotopocule values (δ15N, δ18O and δ15Nsp) of N2O emitted from plants were determined. A robust relationship established between N2O emission and CO2 respiration rates, which did not alter significantly over a broad range of changing environmental conditions, was used to quantify plant-derived emissions on an ecosystem scale. Stable isotope measurements (δ15N, δ18O and δ15Nsp) of N2O emitted by the plants clearly show that the dual isotopocule fingerprint of plant-derived N2O differs from those of currently known microbial or chemical processes. Our work suggests that vegetation is a natural source of N2O in the environment with a large fraction released by a hitherto unrecognized process.
Peer reviewed papers - group members including former members are shown in bold
- E. Bahlmann, F. Keppler, J. Wittmer, M. Greule, H.F. Schöler, R. Seifert, C. Zetzsch (2019). Evidence for a major missing source in the global chloromethane budget from stable carbon isotopes. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 19, 1703-1719.
M. Greule, H. Moossen, H. Geilmann, W.A. Brand, F. Keppler (2019). Methyl sulfates as methoxyl isotopic reference materials for δ13C and δ2H measurements. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 33, 343-350.
K. Lenhart, T. Behrendt, S. Greiner, J. Steinkamp, R. Well, A. Giesemann, F. Keppler (2019). Nitrous oxide effluxes from plants as a potentially important source to the atmosphere. New Phytologist, 221, 1398-1408.
T. Anhäuser, B. Hook, J. Halfar , M. Greule, F. Keppler (2018). Earliest Eocene cold period and polar amplification - Insights from δ2H values of lignin methoxyl groups of mummified wood. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 505, 326-336.
P. Comba, D. Faltermeier, S. Gieger, F. Keppler, H.F. Schöler, M. Schroll (2018). Iron catalyzed demethylation of acetic acid. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 71:11-13, 1704-1714.
N. Jaeger, L. Besaury, A.N. Röhling, F. Koch, A.-M. Delort, C. Gasc, M. Greule, S. Kolb, T. Nadalig, P. Peyret, S. Vuilleumier, P. Amato, F. Bringel, F. Keppler (2018). Chloromethane formation and degradation in the fern phyllosphere. Science of the Total Environment, 634, 1278-1287.
J.F. Hartmann, T. Gentz, A. Schiller, M. Greule, H.-P. Grossart, D. Ionescu, F. Keppler, K. Martinez-Cruz, A. Sepulveda-Jauregui, M. Isenbeck-Schröter (2018). A fast and sensitive method for the continuous in-situ determination of dissolved methane and its δ13C-isotope ratio in surface waters. Limnology and Oceanography, 16, 273-285.
F. Keppler, E. Bahlmann, M. Greule, H.F. Schöler, J. Wittmer, C. Zetzsch (2018). Mass spectrometric measurement of hydrogen isotope fractionation for the reactions of chloromethane with OH and Cl. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 18, 6625–6635.
T. May, D. Polag, F. Keppler, M. Greule, L. Müller, H. König (2018). Methane oxidation in industrial biogas plants – insights in a novel methanotrophic environment evidenced by pmoA gene analyses and stable isotope labelling studies. Journal of Biotechnology, 270, 77-84.
D. Schulze-Makuch, D. Wagner, S.P. Kounaves, K. Mangelsdorf, K.G. Devine, J.-P. de Vera, P. Schmitt-Kopplin, H.-P. Grossart, V. Parro, M. Kaupenjohann, A. Galy, B. Schneider, A. Airo, J. Frösler, A.F. Davila, F.L. Arens, L. Cáceres, F.S. Cornejo, D. Carrizo, L. Dartnell, J. DiRuggiero, M. Flury, L. Ganzert, M.O. Gessner, P. Grathwohl, L. Guan, J. Heinz, M. Hess, F. Keppler , D. Maus, C.P. McKay, R.U. Meckenstock, W. Montgomery, E.A. Oberlin, A.J. Probst, J. Saenz, T. Sattler, J. Schirmack, M.A. Sephton, M. Schloter, J. Uhl, B. Valenzuela, G. Vertergaard, L. Wörmer, P. Zamorano (2018). A transitory habitat for microorganisms in the hyperarid Atacama Desert. PNAS, 115, 2670-2675.
N. Jaeger, L. Besaury, E. Kröber, A.-M. Delort, M. Greule, K. Lenhart, T. Nadalig, S. Vuilleumier, P. Amato, S. Kolb, F. Bringel, F. Keppler (2018). New insights into chloromethane degradation in soils gained using a combined microbial and two-dimensional stable isotope approach. Journal of Environmental Quality, 47, 254-262.
J. Esper, S. Holzkämper, U. Büntgen, B. Schöne, F. Keppler , C. Hartl-Meier, S. St.George, D.F.C. Riechelmann, K. Treydte (2018). Site-specific climatic signals in stable isotope records from Swedish pine forests. Trees, 32, 855-869.
D. Polag, F. Keppler (2018). Long-term monitoring of breath methane. Science of the Total Environment, 624, 69-77.
D.G. Mulat, F. Mosbæk, A.J. Ward, D. Polag, M. Greule, F. Keppler, J. Nielsen, A. Feilberg (2017). Exogenous addition of H2 for an in situ biogas upgrading through biological reduction of carbon dioxide into methane. Waste Management, 68, 146-156.
D. Riechelmann, M. Greule, R.T.W. Siegwolf, T. Anhäuser, J. Esper, F. Keppler (2017). Warm season precipitation signal in δ²H of wood lignin methoxyl groups from high elevation larch trees in Switzerland. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 31, 1589-1598.
K. Benzing, P. Comba, B. Martin, B. Pokrandt, F. Keppler (2017). Nonheme iron-oxo-catalyzed methane formation from methyl-thioethers: Scope, mechanism and relevance for natural systems. Chemistry - A European Journal, 23, 10465 – 10472.
F. Keppler, J. Fischer, T. Sattler, D. Polag, N. Jaeger, H. F. Schöler, M. Greule (2017). Chloromethane emissions in human breath. Science of the Total Environment, 605, 405-410.
C. Mayer, U. Schreiber, O. Schmitz, P. Rosendahl, A. Bronja, M. Greule, F. Keppler, I. Mulder, T. Sattler, H.F. Schöler (2017). Organic compounds in fluid inclusions of Archean quartz - archives of prebiotic chemistry on early Earth. PlosOne, 12, e0177570.
K. Geisler, M. Greule, U. Schäfer, J. Hans, T. Geisler, L. Meier, F. Keppler, G. Krammer (2017). Vanilla authenticity control by DNA barcoding and isotope data aggregation. Flavour and Fragrance Journal, 32, 228-237.
J. Hepp, R. Zech, K. Rozanski, M. Tuthorn, B. Glaser, M. Greule, F. Keppler, Y. Huang, W. Zech, M. Zech (2017). Late Quaternary relative humidity changes from Mt. Kilimanjaro, based on a biomarker-isotope paleohygrometer. Quaternary International, 438, Part B, 116-130.
- T. Anhäuser, M. Greule, F. Keppler (2017) Stable hydrogen isotope values of lignin methoxyl groups of four tree species across Germany and their implication for temperature reconstruction Science of The Total Environment, 579, 263-271.
- T. Anhäuser, M. Greule, D. Polag , G.J. Bowen, F. Keppler (2017) Mean annual temperatures of mid-latitude regions derived from δ²H values of wood lignin methoxyl groups and its implications for paleoclimate studies. Science of The Total Environment, 574, 1276-1282.
- K.A. Kamilli, J. Ofner, T. Krause, T. Sattler, P. Schmitt-Kopplin, E. Eitenberger, G. Friedbacher, B. Lendl, H. Lohninger, H.F. Schöler, A. Held (2016) How salt lakes affect atmospheric new particle formation: A case study in Western Australia. Science of The Total Environment, 573, 985-995.
- J. Hepp, M. Rabus, T. Anhäuser, T. Bromm , C. Laforsch, F. Sirocko, B. Glaser, M. Zech (2016) A sugar biomarker proxy for assessing terrestrial versus aquatic sedimentary input. Organic Geochemistry, 98, 98-104.
- K. Lenhart, T. Klintzsch, G. Langer, G. Nehrke, M. Bunge, S. Schnell, F. Keppler (2016) Evidence for methane production by the marine algae Emiliania huxleyi, Biogeosciences. 13, 3163-3174.
- F. Keppler, A. Schiller, R. Ehehalt, M. Greule, J. Hartmann, D. Polag (2016) Stable isotope and high precision concentration measurements confirm that all humans produce and exhale methane. J. Breath Res. 10, 16003.
- D. Riechelmann, M. Greule, K.S. Treydte, J. Esper and F. Keppler (2016) Climate signals in δ13C of wood lignin methoxyl groups from high elevation larch trees. Palaeogeogr. Palaeoclimatol. Palaeoecol. 445, 60–71.
D. Polag, T. May, L. Müller, H. König, F. Jacobi, S. Laukenmann, F. Keppler (2015). Online monitoring of stable carbon isotopes of methane in anaerobic digestion as a new tool for early warning of process instability. Bioresource Technology, 197, 161-170.
K. Lenhart, B. Weber, W. Elbert, J. Steinkamp, T. Clough, P. Crutzen, U. Pöschl, F. Keppler (2015). Nitrous oxide and methane emissions from cryptogamic covers. Global Change Biology, 21(10), 3889-3900.
T. May, M. Koch-Singenstreua, J. Ebling, R. Stantscheff, L. Müller, F. Jacobi, D. Polag, F. Keppler, H. König (2015). Design and application of a synthetic DNA standard for real-time PCR analysis of microbial communities in a biogas digester. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 99(16), 6855-6863.
C. McRoberts, F. Keppler, D.B. Harper, J.T.G. Hamilton (2015). Seasonal changes in chlorine and methoxyl content of leaves of deciduous trees and their impact on release of chloromethane and methanol at elevated temperatures. Environmental Chemistry, 12(4), 426-437.
M. Greule, A. Mosandl, J.T.G. Hamilton, F. Keppler (2015). Comment on: “Authenticity and Traceability of Vanilla Flavors by Analysis of Stable Isotopes of Carbon and Hydrogen”. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 63, 5305–5306.
M. Mischel, J. Esper, F. Keppler, M. Greule, W. Werner (2015). δ2H, δ13C and δ18O from whole wood, α-cellulose and lignin methoxyl groups in Pinus sylvestris: a multi-parameter approach. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies , 51(4), 553-568.
K. Lenhart, F. Althoff, M. Greule, F. Keppler (2015) Technical Note: Methionine, a precursor of methane in living plants. Biogeosciences 12, 1907-1914.
- T. Anhäuser, M. Greule, M. Zech, Kalbitz, K., C. McRoberts, F. Keppler (2015) Stable hydrogen and carbon isotope ratios of methoxyl groups during plant litter degradation. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies 51, 143-154.
- M. Greule, A. Rossmann, H.-L. Schmidt, A. Mosandl and F. Keppler (2015) A Stable Isotope Approach to Assessing Water Loss in Fruits and Vegetables during Storage. J. Agric. Food Chem., 63, 1974-1981. Available at: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf505192p.
- T. Nadalig, M. Greule, Francoise Bringel, F. Keppler, S. Vuilleumier (2014). Probing the diversity of chloromethane-degrading bacteria by comparative genomics and isotopic fractionation. Frontiers in Microbiology, 5, 523.
- F. Keppler, D.B. Harper, M. Greule, U. Ott, T. Sattler, H.F. Schöler, J.T.G. Hamilton (2014). Chloromethane release from carbonaceous meteorite affords new insight into Mars lander findings. Scientific Reports, 4, 7010.
- T. Anhäuser, F. Sirocko, M. Greule, J. Esper, F. Keppler (2014). D/H ratios of methoxyl groups of the sedimentary organic matter of Lake Holzmaar (Eifel, Germany): a potential palaeoclimate/-hydrology proxy. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 142, 39-52.
- F. Althoff, K. Benzing, P. Comba.,C. McRoberts, D.R. Boyd, S. Greiner, F. Keppler (2014). Abiotic methanogenesis from organosulfur compounds under ambient conditions. Nature Communications, 5, 4205.
- D. Polag, O. Leiß, F. Keppler (2014). Age dependent breath methane in the German population. Science of the Total Environment, 481, 582-587.
- D. Polag, L.C. Krapf, S. Laukenmann, H. Heuwinkel, J. Lelieveld, F. Keppler (2014). Stable carbon isotopes of methane for real-time process monitoring in anaerobic digesters. Engineering in Life Sciences, 4, 153-160.
- A. Horst, H. Holmstrand, P. Andersson, B.F. Thornton, A. Wishkerman, F. Keppler, Ö. Gustafsson (2014). Stable bromine isotopic composition of methyl bromide released from plant matter. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 125, 186-195.
T. Nadalig, M. Greule, Francoise Bringel, S. Vuilleumier, F. Keppler (2013). Hydrogen and carbon isotope fractionation during degradation of chloromethane by methylotrophic bacteria. MicrobiologyOpen, 2(6), 893-900.
- D. Polag, S. Laukenmann, H. Heuwinkel, M. Greule, F. Keppler (2013). Evidence of anaerobic syntrophic acetate oxidation in biogas batch reactors using stable carbon isotopes labelling experiments. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 49, 365-77.
- O. Wuerfel, M. Greule, F. Keppler, M.A. Jochmann, T.C. Schmidt (2013). Position Specific Isotope Analysis of the Methyl Group Carbon in Methylcobalamin for the Investigation of Biomethylation Processes. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 405, 2833-2841.
- Y. Gori, R. Wehrens, M. Greule, F. Keppler, L. Ziller, N. La Porta, F. Camin (2013). C, H and O stable isotope ratios of whole wood, cellulose and lignin methoxyl groups of Picea abies as climatic proxy. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 27, 265-275.
M. Greule, S.G. Huber, F. Keppler (2012). Stable hydrogen-isotope analysis of methyl chloride emitted from halophytic plants. Atmospheric Environment, 62, 584-592.
K. Lenhart, M. Bunge, S.Rathering, T. Neu, I. Schüttman, M. Greule, C. Kammann, S. Schnell, C. Müller, H. Zorn, F. Keppler (2012). Evidence for methane production by saprotrophic fungi. Nature Communications, 3, 1046.
F. Keppler, I. Vigano, A. McLeod, U. Ott, M. Früchtl, T. Röckmann (2012). Ultraviolet-radiation-induced methane emissions from meteorites and the Martian atmosphere. Nature, 486, 93-96.
M. Hurkuck, F. Althoff, H. Jungkunst, A. Jugold, F. Keppler (2012). Release of methane from aerobic soil: an indication of a novel chemical natural process? Chemosphere, 86, 684-689.
L. Derendorp, A. Wishkerman, F. Keppler, C. McRoberts, R. Holzinger, T. Röckmann (2012). Methyl chloride emissions from halophyte leaf litter: dependence on temperature and chlorine content. Chemosphere, 87, 483-489.
- M. Greule, F. Keppler (2011). Stable isotope determination of ester and ether methyl moieties in plant methoxyl groups. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 47, 470-482.
- Z.-P. Wang, F. Keppler, M. Greule, J.T.G. Hamilton (2011). Non-microbial methane emissions from fresh leaves: effects of physical wounding and anoxia. Atmospheric Environment 45, 4915-4921.
- L. Derendorp, R. Holzinger, A. Wishkerman, F. Keppler, T. Röckmann (2011). Methyl chloride and C2–C5 hydrocarbon emissions from dry leaf litter and their dependence on temperature. Atmospheric Environment, 45, 3112-3119.
- A. Wishkerman, S. Greiner, M. Ghyczy, M. Boros, T. Rausch, K. Lenhart, F. Keppler (2011). Enhanced formation of methane in plant cell cultures by inhibition of cytochrome c oxidase. Plant Cell & Environment, 34, 457–464.
S. Laukenmann, D. Polag, H. Heuwinkel, M. Greule, A. Gronauer, J. Lelieveld, F. Keppler (2010). Identification of methanogenic pathways in anaerobic digesters using stable carbon isotopes. Engineering in Life Sciences, 10, 509–514.
M. Greule, L. D. Tumino, T. Kronewald, U. Hener, J. Schleucher, A. Mosandl, F. Keppler (2010). Improved rapid authentication of vanillin using δ13C and δ2H values. European Food Research Technology, 231, 933–941.
T. Röckmann, C.X. Gómez Álvarez, S. Walter, C. van der Veen, A.G. Wollny, S. Gunthe, G. Helas, U. Pöschl, F. Keppler, M. Greule, W.A. Brand (2010). The isotopic composition of H2 from biomass burning - dependency on combustion efficiency, moisture content and dD of local precipitation. Journal of Geophysical Research, 115, D17308.
F. Keppler, S. Laukenmann, J. Rinne, H. Heuwinkel, M. Greule, M. Whiticar, J. Lelieveld (2010). Measurements of 13C/12C Methane from Anaerobic Digesters: Comparison of Optical Spectrometry with Continuous-Flow Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry. Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 5067-5073.
F. Althoff, A. Jugold, F. Keppler (2010). Methane Formation by Oxidation of Ascorbic Acid using Iron Minerals and Hydrogen Peroxide. Chemosphere, 80, 286-292.
I. Vigano, R. Holzinger, T. Röckmann, F. Keppler, M. Greule, W.A. Brand, H. Geilmann (2010). Water drives the deuterium content of the methane emitted from plants. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 74, 3865–3873.
- F. Keppler, M. Boros, C. Frankenberg, J. Lelieveld, A. McLeod, A.M. Pirttilä, T. Röckmann, J.-P. Schnitzler (2009). Methane formation in aerobic environments. Environmental Chemistry, 6, 459-465.
- I. Vigano, R. Holzinger, T. Röckmann, A. van Dijk, F. Keppler, M. Greule, W.A. Brand, H. Geilmann, J. van Dongen (2009). The stable isotope signature of methane emitted from plant material under UV irradiation. Atmospheric Environment, 43, 5637-5646.
- N. Yassaa, A. Wishkerman, F. Keppler, J. Williams (2009) Fast determination of methyl chloride and methyl bromide emissions from plant matter and soil samples using HS-SPME and GC-MS. Environmental Chemistry, 6, 311-318.
- M. Greule, A. Mosandl, J.T.G. Hamilton, F. Keppler (2009). A simple rapid method to precisely determine 13C/12C ratios of plant methoxyl groups. Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 23, 1710-1714.
- L. Weissflog, N.F. Elanskii, K. Kotte, F. Keppler, A. Pfennigsdorff, K. Lange E. Putz, L.V. Lisitzina (2009). Late permian changes in conditions of the atmosphere and environments caused by halogenated gases. Doklady Earth Sciences, 425, 291-295.
- F. Keppler, J.T.G. Hamilton (2008). Tracing the geographical origin of early potato tubers using stable hydrogen isotope ratios of methoxyl groups. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 44, 337-347.
- M. Greule, A. Mosandl, J.T.G. Hamilton, F. Keppler (2008). A rapid and precise method for determination of D/H ratios of plant methoxyl groups Rapid Communication in Mass Spectrometry, 22, 3983-3988.
- A. Wishkerman, S. Gebhardt, C.W. McRoberts, J.T.G. Hamilton, J. Williams, F. Keppler (2008). Abiotic methyl bromide formation from vegetation and its strong dependence on temperature Environmental Science & Technology, 42, 6837-6842.
- I. Vigano, R. Holzinger, H. van Weelden, F. Keppler, A. McLeod, T. Röckmann (2008). Effect of UV radiation and temperature on the emission of methane from plant biomass and structural components. Biogeosciences, 5, 937-947.
- F. Keppler, J.T.G. Hamilton, C.W. McRoberts, I. Vigano, M. Braß, T. Röckmann (2008). Methoxyl groups of plant pectin as a precursor compound for atmospheric methane: evidence from deuterium labelling studies. New Phytologist, 178, 808-814.
- S. Draxler, F. Keppler (2008). Ansätze zur regionalen Quantifizierung von Methan aus Pflanzen. UWSF – Z Umweltchem Ökotox, 20(1) 75-79.
- G. Rösing, F. Keppler (2007). Production of biogas. PCT Int. Appl., WO 2006-EP7504, 32 pp.
- F. Keppler, D.B. Harper, R.M. Kalin, W. Meier-Augenstein, N. Farmer, S. Davis, H.-L. Schmidt, D.M. Brown, J.T.G Hamilton (2007). D/H ratios of lignin methoxyl groups as a paleoclimate proxy and constraint of the geographical origin of woods. New Phytologist, 176, 600-609.
- F. Keppler, R. Borchers, J.T.G. Hamilton, G. Kilian, J. Pracht, H. F. Schöler, (2006). De-novo formation of chloroethyne in soil. Environmental Science & Technology 40, 130-134.
- F. Keppler, J.T.G. Hamilton, M. Brass, T. Röckmann (2006). Methane emissions from terrestrial plants under aerobic conditions. Nature, 439, 187-191.
- S. Houweling, T. Röckmann, I. Aben, F. Keppler, M. Krol, J.-F. Meirink, E. J. Dlugokencky, C. Frankenberg (2006). Atmospheric constraints on global emissions of methane from plants. Geophysical Research Letters, 33, L15821.
- F. Keppler, T. Röckmann, R.M. Moore, D.B. Harper, J.T.G. Hamilton (2005). New insight into the atmospheric chloromethane budget gained using stable carbon isotope ratios. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 5, 2403-2411.
- F. Keppler, R.M. Kalin, D.B. Harper, W.C. McRoberts, J.T.G. Hamilton (2004). Carbon isotope anomaly in the major plant C1 pool and its global biogeochemical implications. Biogeosciences 1, 123-131.
- H. Biester, F. Keppler, A. Putschew, A. Martinez-Cortizas, M. Petri (2004). Halogen retention, organohalogens and the role of organic matter decomposition on halogen enrichment in two Chilean peat bogs. Environmental Science & Technology 38, 1984-1991.
- F. Keppler, H. Biester, A. Putschew, P. J. Silk, H.F. Schöler, G. Müller (2004). Organoiodine formation during humification in peatlands: a key process in terrestrial iodine cycling. Environmental Chemistry Letters 1, 219-223.
- J.T.G. Hamilton, W.C. McRoberts, F. Keppler, R.M. Kalin, D.B. Harper (2003). Chloride methylation by plant pectin: an efficient environmentally significant process. Science 301, 206-209.
- F. Keppler and H. Biester (2003). Peatlands: a major sink of naturally formed organic chlorine. Chemosphere 52, 451-453.
- H. F. Schöler, F. Keppler, I. J, Fahimi, V. W. Niedan (2003). Fluxes of trichloroacetic acid between atmosphere, biota, soil and groundwater. Chemosphere 52, 339-354.
- I. Fahimi, F. Keppler, H.F. Schöler (2003). Formation of chlorinated acetic acids from soil, humic acid and phenolic moieties. Chemosphere 52, 513-520.
- H.F. Schöler and F. Keppler (2003). Abiotic formation of organohalogens in the terrestrial environment. Chimia, 57(1/2), 33-34.
- F. Keppler, R. Borchers, P. Elsner, I. Fahimi, J. Pracht, H. F. Schöler (2003). Formation of volatile iodinated organic compounds in soil – results from laboratory studies. Chemosphere 52, 477-483.
- A. Putschew, F. Keppler, M. Jekel (2003). Differentiation of the halogen content of peat samples using ion chromatography after combustion (TX/TOX-IC). Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 375, 781-785.
- V.W. Niedan, F. Keppler, B. Ahlsdorf, H.F. Schöler (2003). Anthropogenically induced de-novo formation of organochlorines. Biogeochemistry 62, 277-287.
2002 - 1998
- F. Keppler, R. Borchers, J. Pracht, S. Rheinberger, H. F. Schöler (2002). Natural formation of vinyl chloride in the terrestrial environment. Environmental Science & Technology 36, 2479-2483.
- J. Pracht, J. Boenigk, M. Isenbeck-Schröter, F. Keppler, H.F. Schöler (2001). Abiotic Fe(III) induced mineralization of phenolic substances. Chemosphere 44, 613-619.
- F. Keppler, R. Eiden, V.W. Niedan, J. Pracht, H.F. Schöler (2000). Halocarbons as degradation products of organic matter by natural oxidation processes. Nature 403, 298-301.
- V.W. Niedan, F. Keppler, B. Ahlsdorf, H.F. Schöler (1998). Bildung von Organohalogenen in einer kommunalen Kläranlage. Vom Wasser 91, 175-184.